Saturday, May 24, 2014

On the Road with the BusterMobile

We took Buster to San Juan Island and camped in the county park.  All systems worked well, we slept like logs, and those expensive batteries ran our little fridge and lights just fine...so we're happy.

We do have to report one rather large design flaw...mistakes were made, I blame myself!  Originally, on my paper mock-up, I made the tall cupboard 12 inches deep.  Then I thought it should be deeper, because that would give us considerably more storage space.  So I extended the cupboard to a depth of 20 inches.  The cupboard is great, however, I didn't adjust the length or placement of the table, which means there is now only about a four inch gap to squeeze into the dinette on the driver's side.  

Fortunately the table isn't fixed in place, so it can be tipped up enough to squeeze in on that side, or we can do some acrobatics and climb over the end of the table if we feel flexible enough.  When we are under way, the table is held down with river-rafting straps so it doesn't launch itself through the front of the van on a panic stop.  But when we park, we unstrap it so it can be tipped up easily.  Also, we can get into the dinette through the back doors...but of course not when we are rolling down the highway of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment